FFL License Application
In order to get your FFL you will need to meet the Firearm License Requirements, The FFL application requirements to apply for and obtain an FFL License are straight forward and can be easily met by anyone who carefully prepares for it, using a FFL application kit can make the hope process much easier, the basic requirements are:
- You must be 21 years old or older
- You need premises [like your home] for conducting business
- The business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by state or local law in the place where the licensed premise is located
- Within 30 days after the FFL application is approved the dealer will comply with the requirements of state and local law applicable to the conduct of the business
- The business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of state and local law applicable to the business have been met
- The applicant has to send or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises are located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for an FFL License.
- Secure gun storage [Gun Safe NOT required] or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees.
The most difficult part of the FFL Requirements is often jumping through the hurdles the ATF will create at a local level. The ATF has field or branch offices in major cities and often the interpretation of the requirements can vary widely from location to location.
You need to obtain help from someone that has experience with customers who have applied for an FFL License in all areas of the country to be prepared for these local ATF issues.
As you can see, the FFL Requirements are vague enough that each local ATF agent can interpret as they please.
Although the process may appear to be complicated at 1st, there is a lot of free information available to educate you, the process has to be complicated after all it government agencies who do not like people getting their FFL and they do nothing to encourage you, plus there is a certain safety factor involved.