Question on purchasing automatic firearms?

I know automatic firearms aren’t illegal, but you must purchase them from a class 3 weapons dealer, but is there a particular license needed to purchase one yourself? Or do you just need to pay the federal transfer tax on the weapon?

3 thoughts on “Question on purchasing automatic firearms?”

  1. Federal law only requires you to undergo a background investigation, get the approval of your chief law enforcement officer (Sheriff or Chief of Police) and pay the transfer tax.

    They also must be pre ban (manufactured or registered before 1986). Any automatic weapon manufactured after a certain date in 1986 which I do not remember is restricted to Military and Law Enforcement Use only. So the pre 1986 (civilian) weapons are very expensive.

    Your state may or may not have stricter laws regulating the possession of these weapons.

Leave a Reply